"with" should be deprecated with extreme prejudice

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:16:59 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu
> That's not an "equiv of". It's "completely missing the point of". Each
> "using" costs one new scope and one level of indentation which makes it
> non-scalable. Indentation is *expensive*. I think the C# folks missed the
> class when try/catch/finally showed with extensive examples just how
> expensive extra indentation is.

Oh.  Is that the only thing that bothers you about it?
That doesn't bother me much since it's basically for things you only
want to hold on to for a short span.  You should either do your
business in a few lines of code and get out of there, or if you can't
then make it a function.   Anyway, if the indentation bugs you, you
can always set emacs up not to indent on "using" blocks.

--bb