OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 22:33:53 PDT 2009

grauzone wrote:
>> Oh, and how it indents multiline function calls is completely retarded.
>>
>> And every time I try to autocomplete a templated function call, it
>> insists on inserting ALL of the template arguments, even when they're
>> supposed to be derived.
>

> This is why I don't like IDEs. Plus, every time you type something,
> stuff BLINKS around, grabbing your attention, saying I'M SO ANNOYING
> PLEASE DISABLE ME AS A FEATURE. Like documentation tooltips, auto
> completion hints, or "intelligent" indentation. It's ridiculous. When I
> hit a key, I want the text editor insert that key. Not do.... random....
> stuff.
>
> How do Eclipse user deal with it? Not look at the screen when typing?

that sounds like an old man complaining that modern television has sound
and colors.

you can disable all features or just use a primitive text editor since
that's what your used too, but those thing are *not* problems.

It is extremely useful to have the documentation tooltips instead of
spending time on searching manually in some book or whatever.
the smart indentation is a godsend, if I paste a snippet it is adjusted
to my code so I can see how many braces I need to have at the end.

I certainly do *NOT* want to go back to writing shell scripts or emacs
LISP functions just to copy some snippet from one file to another!