OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Tue May 19 00:15:20 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:

> all LINQ is is a set of standard nameing conventions and sugar. I Add a "Where"
> function to some SQL tabel object and you get the above as well.

Not really, LINQ is 'sugar' for the underlying libraries that implements querying. Instead of
calling it just sugar, it is more proper to call it a language in it's own right.

LINQ to SQL is just one thing, the power of LINQ is that you separate queries from source of data.
You can write one query (ideally) that works with SQL, XML or plain Arrays. It's not only that you
don't have to write SQL queries anymore, a lot of messy for/while/etc. loops can be totally replaced
with LINQ queries too.