"with" still sucks + removing features + adding features

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue May 19 00:41:18 PDT 2009

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:gut7lb$ue8$1 at digitalmars.com...

> (0) Must be recognizable and understood at first sight without the user
> running to the manual and looking it up.

I've never considered that a particularly good criterea in most cases. Most
language features/syntax are non-obvious at a glance for anyone who isn't
already familiar with it. And typically, you only need to look it up once
and then next time you see it you'll remember. People had the same complaint
when '$' was proposed for blah.length, but seriously, one it was included
who here has ever had a non-trivial time learning and internalizing that?
Does '!()' scream "template" to someone who hasn't used D or looked at the D
docs? Of course not. But it works fine. And I sure someone could have easily
said the same about the '#' at the beginning of preprocessor directives back
whenever those were first created. But who ever has any real trouble with
that? I didn't even the very first time I was introduced to it. This '(0)'
is barely an issue at all.