The Final(ize) Challenge

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 19 02:22:27 PDT 2009

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Jarrett Billingsley
> <jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When did templated constructors start being allowed?!  I see nothing
>>> about it in the change log.
>> I was about to say the same thing.
>>

> It doesn't work.  Let me guess: 2.031.  :P

It's hardly fair to issue a challenge which can only be completed [1]
with an unreleased compiler only you have seen.

Actually, that *still* isn't going to cut it: it won't handle ref or out
arguments correctly.  I'm not sure what it'd do with scope.

We *really* need to come up with a sane solution to generalising on
storage class.  Every time I have to generate functions, they make my
life a complete pain in the arse.  The only solution I've found is this
hideous hack that parses ParameterTuple!(T).stringof and builds an array
of enums... yech.

... and yeah, when were you gonna tell us about templated ctors?!

  -- Daniel

[1] Qualification because I know if I don't, I'll regret it: I'm
assuming the next compiler does support templated ctors (as otherwise
your "it's easy" statement is bogus) and that this is the only way of
solving the problem (I can't think of any other way of doing it.)