"with" still sucks + removing features + adding features

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Tue May 19 03:43:48 PDT 2009

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 19:24:13 -0400, bearophile wrote:
>
>> Christopher Wright:
>>> The more common suggestion is:
>>> alias bar = foo;
>> This is acceptable, thank you :-)
>> Now I'd like to know what others think about that.
>
> But does that mean 'when I write "bar" I really mean "foo"' or visa versa?
>
> Just pointing out that the '=' sign doesn't really automatically make it
> fully intuitive.

It would work like assignments and renamed imports. Since when did you
make an assignment in D where the right hand side was modified according
to the value of the left hand side?

It's not immediately obvious to someone who hasn't programmed yet,
necessarily, but to someone even vaguely familiar with any modern
programming language, there is one obvious meaning.