OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 19 08:31:25 PDT 2009

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>>> one other thing, this thread discusses also the VS project files. This
>>> is completely irrelevant. those XML files are VS specific and their
>>> complexity is MS' problem. Nothing prevents a developer from using
>>> different build tools like make, rake or scons with their C# sources
>>> since VS comes with a command line compiler. the issue is not the
>>> build tool but rather the compilation model itself.
>>
>> I think you are in error here as the c# files don't contain enough
>> information for the compiler to know where to resolve symbols. You
>> might be able to get away with throwing every single .cs/.dll/whatever
>> file in the project at the compiler all at once. (Now if you want to
>> talk about archaic!) Aside from that, how can it find meta-data for
>> your types?
>>
>  you're mistaken since there are build tools that support C#. I think I
> saw this in Scons last time I looked.

Maybe you should back up your statements instead of just guessing.

http://www.scons.org/wiki/CsharpBuilder

Oh look, you have to list all the source files because C# source files
*do not contain enough information*.

A C# source file containing "using Foo.Bar;" tells you exactly ZERO
about what other files it depends on.

  -- Daniel