OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Tue May 19 15:12:04 PDT 2009

Walter Bright escribió:
> Christopher Wright wrote:
>> I really like IDEs. They let me think less when creating code.
>
> It wouldn't be hard to do a competent IDE for D. After all, D is
> designed to make that job easy.

Like, for example, if you have this:

---
char[] someFunction(char[] name) {
   return "int " ~ name ~ ";";
}

class Foo {
	mixin(someFunction("variable"));
}

void main() {
	Foo foo = new Foo();
	foo.  --> I'd really like the IDE to suggest me "variable"
}
---

Do you really think implementing a *good* IDE for D is easy now? :-P

(of course Descent works in this case, but just because it has the full
dmdfe in it... so basically a good IDE will need to be able to do CTFE,
instantiante templates, etc., and all of those things are kind of
unclear in the specification of the D language, so if you don't use
dmdfe... well... I hope you get my point)