OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Tue May 19 17:15:01 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Georg Wrede wrote:
>> In the Good Old Days (when it was usual for an average programmer to
>> write parts of the code in ASM (that was the time before the late
>> eighties -- be it Basic, Pascal, or even C, some parts had to be done
>> in ASM to help a bearable user experience when the mainframes had less
>> power than today's MP3 players), the ASM programing was very different
>> on, say, Zilog, MOS, or Motorola processors. The rumor was that the
>> 6502 was made for hand coded ASM, whereas the 8088 was more geared
>> towards automatic code generation (as in C commpilers, etc.). My
>> experiences of both certainly seemed to support this.
>
> The 6502 is an 8 bit processor, the 8088 is 16 bits. All 8 bit
> processors were a terrible fit for C, which was designed for 16 bit
> CPUs. Everyone who coded professional apps for the 6502, 6800, 8080 and
> Z80 (all 8 bit CPUs) wrote in assembler. (Including myself.)

Sloppy me, 8080 was what I meant, instead of the 8088. My bad.

And you're right about ASM coding. But over here, with smaller software
companies, stuff was done win S-Basic (does anyone even know that one
anymore???), C-Basic, and Turbo Pascal. Ron Cain's SmallC wasn't really
up to anything serious, and C wasn't all that well known around here
then. But Turbo Pascal was already at 3.0 in 1985, and a good
investment, because using it was the same on the pre-PC computers and
the then new IBM-PC.

>> If we were smart with D, we'd find out a way of leapfrogging this
>> thinking. We have a language that's more powerful than any of C#, Java
>> or C++, more practical than Haskell, Scheme, Ruby, &co, and more
>> maintainable than C or Perl, but which *still* is Human Writable. All
>> we need is some outside-of-the-box thinking, and we might reap some
>> overwhelming advantages when we combine *this* language with the IDEs
>> and the horsepower that the modern drone takes for granted.
>>
>> Easier parsing, CTFE, actually usable templates, practical mixins,
>> pure functions, safe code, you name it! We have all the bits and
>> pieces to really make writing + IDE assisted program authoring, a
>> superior reality.
>
> Right, but I can't think of any IDE feature that would be a bad fit for
> using the filesystem to store the D source modules.

I remember writing something about it here, like 7 years ago. But today
there are others who have newer opinions about it. I haven't thought
about it since then.

I wonder how a seasoned template author would describe what the most
welcome help would be when writing serious templates?