OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 20:41:53 PDT 2009

== Quote from BCS (none at anon.com)'s article
> Hello dsimcha,
> > What the heck do you need generics for when you have real templates?
> > To me, generics seem like just a lame excuse for templates.
> >
> smaller object code? OTOH a good implementation will noice when I can fold
> together several template expansions

I understand that object file bloat with templates is at least a theoretical
concern, but come on.  For most programs, at least most of the ones I write, most
of the memory consumption is data, and code is only a tiny fraction.  Does anyone
have a real world use case where object file bloat due to templates was a
significant problem *and* you weren't working w/ an embedded system where you
couldn't use C#/Java anyhow?