OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Tim Matthews tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 21:33:42 PDT 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009 05:40:37 +1200, BCS <ao at pathlink.com> wrote:

> Reply to Lutger,
>
>> BCS wrote:
>>
>>> all LINQ is is a set of standard nameing conventions and sugar. I Add
>>> a "Where" function to some SQL tabel object and you get the above as
>>> well.

>>  Not really, LINQ is 'sugar' for the underlying libraries that
>
> As far as language features go, I'm even less impressed with sugar for
> libraries.
>
>> implements querying. Instead of calling it just sugar, it is more
>> proper to call it a language in it's own right.
>>

> I still don't think it's anything to spectacular. The AST stuff on the
> other hand...

LINQ's syntactic sugar is not bad in my opinion. With .net its more
acceptable to have syntactic sugar for a library that it depends on as it
is all part of the base framework that is going to be there but with D I
think we could all agree that a LINQ like query just doesnt fit in too
well (for now at least)