OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Wed May 20 04:08:52 PDT 2009

dsimcha escribió:
> == Quote from Christopher Wright (dhasenan at gmail.com)'s article
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
>>> news:gus0lu$1smj$2 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Outside of this group, I think most of the people considering C# really cool
>>> are people who are unaware of D and are coming to C# from Java. What's
>>> "cool" about C# is that it's like a less-shitty version of Java (and *had*
>>> good tools, although the newer versions of VS are almost as much of a
>>> bloated unresponsive mess as Eclipse - Which come to think of it, makes me
>>> wonder - If Java has gotten so fast as many people claim, why is Eclipse
>>> still such a sluggish POS?).
>>>
>>> Compare C# to D though and most of the coolness fades, even though there are
>>> still a handful of things I think D could still learn from C# (but there's
>>> probably more than a handful that C# could learn from D).
>> Generics and reflection. Generics just hide a lot of casts, usually, but
>> that's still quite useful. And autoboxing is convenient, though not
>> appropriate for D.
>
> What the heck do you need generics for when you have real templates?  To me,
> generics seem like just a lame excuse for templates.

Yesterday doob reported a bug in Descent saying "when you compile your
project and it references a user library that has errors, when you click
on the console to jump to the error, it doesn't work". I said to him: I
never thought a user library could have errors! How did this happen to
you? He replied: "I found a bug in a template in Tango".

That's why generics doesn't suck: if there's something wrong in them,
the compiler tells you in compile-time. In D, you get the errors only
when instantiating that template.

Generics might not be as powerful as templates, but once you write one
that compiles, you know you will always be able to instantiate it.