"with" still sucks + removing features + adding features

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Wed May 20 05:58:27 PDT 2009

On Wed, 20 May 2009 00:43:56 +0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> It's an awful idea. It's a non-idea. If "idea" had an antonym, that
> would be it.
>
> I can't fathom what's on the mind of a person (not you, at least you
> foresee some potential problems) who, even after patiently explained the
> issues with this mental misfire, several times, still can bring
> themselves to think it's not that bad.

Your post is emotional rather than rational.

> Let me add one more, although more than sure someone will find a remedy
> for it, too.
>
> a...b
>
> vs.
>
> a.. .b

a..b vs a.b - no one complains

It also gracefully solves an issue with uniform distribution

uniform(0..int.max)  - exclusive
uniform(0...int.max) - inclusive (can't be replaced with 0..int.max+1)

also in switch:

switch(a)
{
case 0..10: // exclusive
case 10...100: // inclusive
}

> I don't plan to discuss minor features on this group anymore.

It is as minor as "case a: .. case b:", i.e. not minor at all.
I'd say that there is no such thing as minor feature, every feature is important.