"with" still sucks + removing features + adding features

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed May 20 07:50:23 PDT 2009

Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> This is easily solved by making the lexer not allow the "...." token, or
>   "....." token, etc. (maximum 3 dots.) This way you are forced to
> insert a space there to make your intention clear, and you can never
> have bugs like that.

I agree that things could be fixed. This is, however, a hack because a
lexer is not supposed to operate that way. Lexers are "maximum munch".

So we're looking at a number of problems here. One is that we'd need to
change the language in several places to accommodate an ill-conceived
feature. Another is that I can't seem to get some very simple points
across such as the difference between a token and a non-terminal, in
spite of having tried repeatedly and in various forms. Another is that I
am becoming suffocated with self-righteousness and therefore am losing
goodwill in this thread at an exponentially-increasing rate. Finally, it
looks like such discussions necessitate more than a full-time job.

Andrei