Finalizing D2

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Fri May 22 15:08:21 PDT 2009

Andrei has indicated that the current plan is to finalize D2 when his book comes out.

Given this, I'm interested in what _community_ activity should be done as part of this.

Should there be a formal review and polishing of the D spec? More than just criticizing faults, people should submit patches or open a discussion of what something means. Unimplemented features should be clearly marked or removed.

Should the final freezing of D2 be delayed until major D1 libraries port to D2? I'm mostly thinking of Tango, but I bet there are others. It may even be good if major libraries could use a Phobos-compatible license and become part of the releases by digital mars.

Can we generate a bugfix most wanted list? The formal list could inspire patches by motivated community members. There should be a quality requirement and a review process for submissions.

To do this, we only need coordinators and a willingness from Walter to promptly handle all the patch submissions. (I don't care if Walter delegates, but it's tough to get motivated to do work if there's no promise for using the output of one's hard work. Walter should also be able to use a red pen on the most-wanted list before the tasks are given out.

Thoughts?