Finalizing D2

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri May 22 22:16:25 PDT 2009

bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>> there's been a sharp
>> increase in bug reports and patches recently. Walter and I are still
>> scratching our head over that (it's not like dmd got much crappier
>> overnight). I can only infer that more people have started using more of D.
>
> I think it's mostly a complex consequence of showing DMD source code. I have "predicted" this outcome in one post more than one year ago.

Yes. It's the simple fact that you can compile DMD out-of-the-box. In
fact, everyone who has downloaded DMD is "forced" to have a working copy
of the source code!
It's interesting to compare this with GDC, which, with the GNU license,
is a purer form of "free software". Yet, it's amazingly difficult to get
it to compile (I tried once, and failed).
It's not just about having source code "available".