Finalizing D2

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sat May 23 01:50:55 PDT 2009

Brad Roberts wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> bearophile wrote:
>>> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>>> I think it's mostly a complex consequence of showing DMD source code.
>>> I have "predicted" this outcome in one post more than one year ago.
>> Yes. It's the simple fact that you can compile DMD out-of-the-box. In
>> fact, everyone who has downloaded DMD is "forced" to have a working copy
>> of the source code!
>> It's interesting to compare this with GDC, which, with the GNU license,
>> is a purer form of "free software". Yet, it's amazingly difficult to get
>> it to compile (I tried once, and failed).
>> It's not just about having source code "available".
>
> I don't believe that to be the case.  That would explain why more _fixes_ are
> being provided (primarily thanks to your contributions), but not why there's
> been an increase in bug _filing_.
>
> http://d.puremagic.com/issues/reports.cgi?product=D&datasets=UNCONFIRMED%3A&datasets=NEW%3A&datasets=ASSIGNED%3A&datasets=REOPENED%3A&datasets=VERIFIED%3A&datasets=FIXED%3A
>
> Regardless.. it's all good.  More reports == more chances of more things being
> fixed.
>
> Later,
> Brad

A lot of the new bugs seem to be D2, which I presume is related to
Andrei's new Phobos2 -- now it's far more appealing to use D2. D2 really
hasn't been stress tested very much so far.
I tried to do a D1-only bug graph, but couldn't get it to work. If the
D1 bug reports are increasing as well, that'd be very hard to explain.