Finalizing D2

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Sat May 23 07:19:55 PDT 2009

On Sat, 23 May 2009 17:33:10 +0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

>>> * std.xml: replace with something that moves faster than molasses.
>>> * std.zip: rewrite
>>  > * std.socket, std.socketstream: We need a real networking library.
>>  > * std.md5: we should add more such encryption devices.
>>  > * std.base64: doesn't deserve a separate module
>>  > * std.conv: define operations to stream data out and in in binary and
>>  > text formats.
>>  How about giving these up to Tango? The only problem is, it has not
>> been ported to D2 yet.
>
> That's not an option.
>

> Andrei

That's an *awesome* option! These are big complex tasks. A lot of internal redisign, breaking changes etc will follow alongside with bugfixes. Phobos can't afford something like this.
Besides they are and not crucial part of language, and I believe should be done as a third-party library. Most importantly, Tango has already implemented all of the above.

It is an important task not only to allow Tango and Phobos coexist, but make them fit together.