Finalizing D2

BCS none at anon.com
Sat May 23 11:43:26 PDT 2009

Hello Andrei,

> BCS wrote:
>
>> Hello Andrei,
>>
>>> * std.date: unnecessarily clunky and low-level. Also, somehow Walter
>>> thinks that std.dateparse has absolutely nothing to do with date.
>>>
>> My company has this little project that I wrote in c#:
>>
>> http://precisionsoftware.blogspot.com/2009/03/natural-language-net-da
>> te-parser.html
>>
>> Would anyone be interested in it being ported to D? Right now we are
>> trying to sell the c# version (no takers yet) so I'd have to talk to
>> them about it.
>>
> Looks interesting, but probably a long shot since a D port would
> cannibalize your employer's business.

We built it as part of a larger project and then chose to try and sell it.
It's not our main product by any strech.

> It should be noted that D already has a solid date parser in
> std.dateparse, written by Walter himself (and he does know how to
> write
> a parser).

I'd almost bet that it doesn't cover near as many cases as ours does. Recurring
dates for example. The primary IP in it is how it handles dates and the grammar,
not the parser.

>>> * std.socket, std.socketstream: We need a real networking library.
>>>
>> what would it do on top of what that does?
>>
> I haven't studied it, but Walter said he doesn't like it and I trust
> him. Anyhow, we'd need to create at least full range integration and
> support for protocols such as http, ftp, ssh, and imap. Today's
> languages load a webpage in one line, and that's great so we need to
> do that. It's even better to be able to process the webpage while it's

So additions, not replacements. OK