OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Jussi Jumppanen jussij at zeusedit.com
Tue May 26 17:33:54 PDT 2009

BCS Wrote:

> What I want is a language where most of the time you build
> a project from only the information in the source code.

There is nothing in C# that stops you doing exactly this.

You can build this Simple.cs file:

  using System;
  using System.Windows.Forms;

  namespace SimpleApplication
  {
      static class Program
      {
          [STAThread]
          static void Main()
          {
              MessageBox.Show("Hello World!", "C# Application",
                              MessageBoxButtons.OK,
                              MessageBoxIcon.Information);

to create a Simple.exe using nothing but this command line:

  csc.exe /r:System.dll; D:\temp\simple.cs

> What I don't want is a language where the only way to keep track
> of the information you need to build a project, is with an external
> data file.

People have been developing projects using an "external data file"
for decades. It's called the make file.

> I don't want that because the only practical way to do that is _force_
> the programmer to use an IDE and have it maintain that file.

What exactly is it about C# that makes you think you are FORCED
to use an IDE to write the code?

MSBuild.exe is nothing than Microsoft's replacement to make.exe.

It is nothing more than a version of make.exe that takes XML
make files as it's input.