Bartosz Milewski Missing post

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Thu May 28 08:39:08 PDT 2009

Jason House, el 28 de mayo a las 08:45 me escribiste:
> I'm really surprised by the lack of design discussion in this thread.
> It's amazing how there can be huge bursts of discussion on which keyword
> to use (e.g. manifest constants), but then complete silence about major
> design decisions like thread safety that defines new transitive states
> and a bunch of new keywords. The description even made parallels to the
> (previously?) unpopular const architecture.

I just find the new "thread-aware" design of D2 so complex, so twisted
that I don't even know where to start. I think the solution is way worse
than the problem here. That's why I don't comment at all.

I think D duplicate functionality. For "safe" concurrency I use processes
and IPC (I have even more guarantees that D could ever give me). That's
all I need. I don't need a huge complexity in the language for that. And
I think D2 concurrency model is still way too low level.

I would like D2 better if it was focussed on macros for example.

> Maybe people are waiting for Walter to go through all the hard work of
> implementing this stuff before complaining that it's crap and
> proclaiming Walter should have done in the first place?

No, I don't see any point in saying what I said above, because I don't
think anything will change. If I didn't like some little detail, that
could worth discussing because it has any chance to change Walter/Bartoz
mind, but saying "I think all the model is way too complex" don't help
much IMHO =)