static this sucks, we should deprecate it

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 11:17:16 PDT 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 13:59:10 -0400, Ary Borenszweig <ary at esperanto.org.ar>
wrote:

> Is there something wrong in my reasoning?

It's just that you aren't always compiling every file at the same time...

Static this' implementation isn't part of the public interface, so it
might not even *be* in the import file (if it's a .di file).  Where do you
throw the compiler error, if you can't determine the circular reference at
comiple time?

I think with the import system the way it is, the only safe prospect is to
have it error like it does now.  You either need some attribution like has
been suggested in this thread (and have the compiler verify that
attribution), or change the import system.

-Steve