[OT] Convention of Communication

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri May 29 14:26:02 PDT 2009

"Simen Kjaeraas" <simen.kjaras at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:op.uun3kgep1hx7vj at biotronic-pc.osir.hihm.no...
> Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>
>> "Manfred Nowak" <svv1999 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9C197A654DF6Dsvv1999hotmailcom at 65.204.18.192...
>>> At least a quarter of the last postings here do not follow the usenet
>>> convention of proper identifying the author---which is the full name of
>>> the author and a valid email adress of the author.
>>
>> Are you kidding me? There isn't a chance in hell I'd put a valid email
>> address for myself on a newsgroup posting. "Hey bots! Please spam me!".
>
> I'm doing it. Mostly 'cause of gmail's filter being good. I think two
> spam messages have made it past it since I got the account, some 4 years
> ago. 'course, if you got a crappy mail provider, it might not be as good
> an idea.

I've tried a number of filters over the years, even popular and
highly-respected ones, but never found one that didn't give me both
false-positives and false-negatives. The way I do things now, despite having
no filters, I also have no spam at all and (naturally) no valid messages
accidentally being rejected. So I see the filters as little more than
clumbsy bandage-appoach.