static this sucks, we should deprecate it

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Sun May 31 13:54:02 PDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> The solution is relatively robust and straightforward. Create a third
> module, AB. Module A and module B both import AB. Put the static
> constructors for both A and B in module AB. The order of initialization
> problem is robustly solved, and all the interdependencies of initialization
> of A and B are explicitly laid out in AB.

If I might speak from personal experience, what usually ends up
happening instead is that A and B get merged into a single module.
This happens enough times, and you have half your code in one file.

The only way to avoid this is either to create circularly-importing
modules, which are considered bad practice (and also cause DMD's
forward reference bugs to rear their heads), or to completely refactor
your code, which is rarely an attractive option.