module hijacking

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Nov 1 02:22:30 PST 2009

hasenj:
> Has this ever caused a real problem? or is it just a theoretical problem?

Yes, this is a real problem, that in Python has caused a little wasting of time now and then. But it's not a high danger, so we may chose to try to fix it later. And if/when we want to fix/avoid it, we must be careful to not turn the medicine to cure it into something that has side effects worse than the problem itself.

Python devs are well aware of this problem (every month a newbie post a problem caused by this), but a lot of time ago they have chosen to not fix it, thinking that the possible solutions are not nice.

Bye,
bearophile