blast from the (recent) past

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Nov 1 02:30:26 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> (I'm not 100% convinced it's ethical to give the second link here,
> because there's clearly an implied invitation to upvote. Please advise.)

I think it's OK. You are not asking people to up-vote, and people here are free to down-vote too if they don't like. Showing your links to the things you like is not bad.

Regarding your book about D, I think it will be a nice manual about a language in development, and I'll buy&read it, but it's not the kind of computer book I like most.

I like programming books that 1) show the practice of programming, or 2) that teach a new programming language while they show how to do something else (like some part of computer graphics, simulations, etc).

In many years I have found only very few books that show the practice of programming: Programming Pearls, Game Programming Gems, Turtle Geometry, Beautiful Code, and very few others. If you know more please tell me :-)

Bye,
bearophile