Grokking ranges: some new algorithms and ranges

Philippe Sigaud philippe.sigaud at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 22:17:00 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 00:47, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> Philippe Sigaud wrote:
>
>> (Uh, first time poster, so hi to all!)
>>

> Glad you could join us!

Thanks, Walter, and thank you for D. I did find the NG easily and even found
a way to have gmail read it and put it into my mail box. If only I could
remember how I ddi it...

Anyway, all I can say is that entering D was quite easy, as I'm part of your
target population: years of C & C++, some Jave, some dabbling in Python.
Compared to C++ were I never did any template, templates in D are relatively
easy to wrap your mind around.  And I fell in love with the range idea,
being immersed in Clojure's Seq or Haskell lists right now.

As some other people here would say, I'm just a run-of-the-mill programmer
discovering functional programming and the power of sequences. But eh, those
were fun to code.

> I discovered D2 ranges a few months ago and decided to get a grip on them
>> for the past
>> few weeks by coding some new ranges. As I'm also reading on Haskell,
>> Clojure and Scala,
>> I tried to code in D some functions seen elsewhere.
>>
>> All in all, I'm having a lot of fun and feel like I'm beginning to grok
>> templates and ranges. I've
>> a module with some new functions inspired by those of std.range and
>> std.algorithm and was wondering if they could be interesting for someone
>> else.
>>

> What you're doing is great fodder for an article. Care to write one?

You know, I'm pretty sure my code is no so good to look at. As I said, I'm
no professional coder. I guess if all goes well, I can write something on my
experience as a complete newbie. My line of work is completely different, so
I'm pretty sure I'm rediscovering things known in CS (particulary the
functional world) for years...

Philippe