Memory Management in D: Request for Comment

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 07:33:58 PST 2009

dsimcha Wrote:

> == Quote from Jason House (jason.james.house at gmail.com)'s article
> > Please add weak references! I can email you a druntime compatible implementation.
>
> Probably be better to submit it as a patch to Bugzilla if it's reasonably
> well-tested and working already.  On the other hand, I am curious to see how this
> was done.  Did it involve hacking gcx.d or was there a more graceful way?

I did hack gcx.d, but only to make the global mutex public. The implementation is relatively simple. My ticket submission failed when I tried to submit it, so I emailed Sean directly. That was months ago, and I never heard back. I'll resubmit a ticket...

Theoretically, a weak ref might naturally tie into your precise scanning changes. Admittedly, it's the dereferencing that is tricky to get right without hacking gcx.d.