Another thread on Jarrett's blog post

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Nov 5 06:43:03 PST 2009

I'm surprised at the belief that Python is easy to maintain. I wonder how many people who say that have actually experienced working with large Python codebases authored by other people? D is likely to be far easier based on my experience of maintaining C++ vs Python code.

The blog post hits the mark, but if it's true that soon D2 will be finalized, LLVMDC is only lacking exceptions on Windows (doesn't sound too hard to implement?) and a 300+ page book by Alexandrei will be available .... the future is looking brighter.

The real challenge will be resisting the temptation to immediately start on an incompatible D3. The popular languages tend to have a good degree of backwards compatibility (with the exception of Python, but there they seem to prefer constant small changes rather than infrequent big changes).