Personal thoughts about D2 release, D, the Universe and everything

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Sat Nov 7 13:21:31 PST 2009

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 03:31:02 +0000 (UTC), dsimcha wrote:

> == Quote from hasenj (hasan.aljudy at gmail.com)'s article
>> Look at dsource, why is everything there almost dead?
>
> Probably because most projects on most open-source hosting sites, like
> Sourceforge, never really get off the ground.  The problem with dsource is that
> there's no quick, easy way to tell what projects are alive and what ones aren't.
> What we really need is for dsource projects to be organized by last commit.  Stuff
> that hasn't had a commit in over, say, 2 months, gets pushed toward the bottom.

Why are commits made to a projects? I would offer that most commits fall
into one of four categories...

1) Bug fixes to (correctly) implement existing design goals
2) New code to implement existing design goals
3) New code to implement updated design goals.
4) Refactoring that is irrelevant to design goals.

What is an "alive" project? Again I suggest it is either one that is having
significant commits (reasons 1 thru 3), or one that is feature complete and
stable.

To me, this means that projects that are not feature complete and are
having no significant commits are those that might be worthy of relegation.

Your suggestions implies that only active incomplete projects (or ones that
are constantly being beautified) are worthwhile. Projects that are
complete, or at least stable in terms of bug fixing, would drop off the
list even though they maybe still a worthwhile product.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia