Request for comment _ survey of the 'D programming language ' community.

Travis Boucher boucher.travis at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 12:01:30 PST 2009

Nick B wrote:
> What is the definition that this community is succeeding / making
> progress ?
>
> I would like to propose there is _only_ one.  That the community is
> growing from year to year.
>
>  From ten years ago when Walter, started the D project it certainly has
> grown, but compared to one year ago, has it grown or shrunk ?  Without
> any hard data there is no way to know.
>
> I propose a brief email survey to gather of the size of the community,
> repeated at yearly intervals.
>
> Proposed questions:
>
> Name:
> Alternative name (handle:)
> Number of years using D:
> Framework: Phobos ; Tango, Both; None; & Other
>

> Comments ?
>

> regards
> Nick B

An Email Survey is the quickest way to turn me into a silent NG prowler
with a new email address.  If you want to do a survey, post it in the NG
and have people optionally go to a site to fill it out.  Even then, it
won't give accurate results.

I'd suggest that a better metric of community growth is community
involvement in open source projects and discussion (eg. dsource stats
and NG stats).