SIMD/intrinsincs questions

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 12:26:38 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:06:08PM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> I do have a working Pentium around here somewhere.

I actually still use my Pentium 1 computers. I have three of them, one
works as a thin terminal to my newer computer, one is my secondary main
computer (if/when my main computer decides to quit working and I'm waiting
on replacement parts, I go back to the old box - it was my main from 1996
through to 2005! I also use it for the occasional multiplayer game),
and the last one I still use to host some small, low traffic websites.

I don't buy into the "omg must be bleeding edge or else" philosophy. I'll
work these computers until their parts fail entirely!

But, I'm surely in the minority. Heck, I still sometimes write 16 bit DOS
code for those computers!

If DMD starts outputting fancier code, that's awesome for the 99% of cases
where it is fine, I'd just request a compiler switch in there to turn it
back to old behaviour for the <1% of cases where we don't want it.

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net