SIMD/intrinsincs questions

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 10 12:39:42 PST 2009

Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> If DMD starts outputting fancier code, that's awesome for the 99% of cases
> where it is fine, I'd just request a compiler switch in there to turn it
> back to old behaviour for the <1% of cases where we don't want it.

Interestingly, dmd does a very good job of Pentium instruction
scheduling. I thought that was hopelessly obsolete, although it didn't
actually hurt anything, so no worries. But it turns out that the Intel
Atom benefits a lot from Pentium style scheduling, and no other compiler
seems to support that anymore!