Go: A new system programing language

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Tue Nov 10 21:11:29 PST 2009

Phil Deets Wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:09:13 -0500, Justin Johansson <no at spam.com> wrote:
>
> > Knud Soerensen Wrote:
> >
> >> Google have made a new language.
> >>
> >> See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s
> >
> > Some of the people in the Go team include Ken Thompson and Rob Pike.
> >
> > As a matter of interest these people have been mentioned in a few past D
> > NG articles.
> > Apparently Ken Thompson designed UTF-8.
> >

> Sorry if I'm stating something you already know, but Ken Thompson also was
> one of the main creators of UNIX.

Thanks.  I had forgotten that.  Whenever a new language comes on the horizon, it's
useful to know exactly who are the people behind it.

I tried watching the YT video but, as unfortunately my Three mobile broadband is just so
s l o w, I stopped after 10 mins. (Anybody thinking of Three in your neck of the woods for broadband forget it.)

Anyway I think the speaker (Rob Pike) said something along the lines that "no new systems
programming language has been developed in the last ten years" and there was no mention
of D (at least that I picked up).  Wonder if they ever looked at D or if Walter knows any of
these people apart from just name?

Justin