Go: A new system programing language

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Wed Nov 11 03:40:12 PST 2009

Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

> "Anders F Björklund" <afb at algonet.se> wrote in message
> news:hddph6$2r9t$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > Justin Johansson wrote:
> >
> >> Anyway I think the speaker (Rob Pike) said something along the lines that
> >> "no new systems
> >> programming language has been developed in the last ten years" and there
> >> was no mention
> >> of D (at least that I picked up).  Wonder if they ever looked at D or if
> >> Walter knows any of
> >> these people apart from just name?
> >
> > They started the project in "late 2007", which is one year after D was
> > released. So I guess D is not considered a "new major systems language".
> >
> > "By mid 2008 the language was mostly designed and the implementation
> > (compiler, run-time) starting to work."  --from the Go Tech talk slides
> >
> > --anders
>
> I was using D well before late 2006 (and never had any sort of special
> non-public access).
>
> From some of the stuff I saw on the tutorial page, I noticed a few things
> that seemed like they could easily have been inspired from D.
>
> Of course, being a longtime D user, that "no new systems programming
> language has been developed in the last ten years" kinda pisses me
> off...Although not as pissed as I'll be if the connection with google causes
> its use and popularity to soar past D...from the example code it looks like
> D but with a really garbled and annoying syntax.

Did you read the FAQ?  This will really piss you off :-(

"What is the purpose of the project?"

http://golang.org/doc/go_faq.html

Slashdotters are pretty quick to the announcement as well, just today ...

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/09/11/11/0210212/Go-Googles-New-Open-Source-Programming-Language

How many comments to you think this story got over there?