bug #2607 building DMD against and older version of glibc [was: objdump src]

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 06:38:42 PST 2009

== Quote from Spacen Jasset (spacenjasset at yahoo.co.uk)'s article
> Spacen Jasset wrote:
> > I am trying to build dmd such that it will work on older versions of
> ...stuff
> Given that there will be a book out in the fairly near future, and
> people may therefore want to run dmd on GNU/Linux. Perhaps bug #2607
> would be useful to fix. That is; ensure that dmd will run on a
> respectable set of GNU/linux versions easily. (and perhaps this applies
> to FreeBSD too)

I'm forced to use Linux caveman edition (kernel 2.6.8 or something) on some of the
computers I deal with for my research because my sysadmin refuses to upgrade.
Before DMD came with buildable source this was problematic because I was
constantly searching for one of the few nodes that DMD would run on.  However, now
I don't see it as much of a problem, as it takes approximately 2 minutes to just
compile from source.  Furthermore, I think I asked Walter about this back when it
was still a problem and he said changing the glibc version would break people with
a newer version.