Go: A new system programing language

Nick B "nick_NOSPAM_.barbalich" at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 11:03:19 PST 2009

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>> Looks interesting.
>>>

> I should have said "backing of a billion-dollar company" not
> "billion-dollar backing".  Certainly it doesn't have the latter.  But
> it has backing in some sense, anyway.  Even if it's the 20% time of
> five guys, Google's paying them for that time.  And whether or not
> they *have* any deep pocket backing, people will perceive a tie
> between the company and the language, which means it can ride on the
> wave of Google's excellent mind-share, esp. among programmers.   Ken
> Thompson is also a very well-known and respected name from Unix and
> Plan 9  (and Rob Pike too?).  These are all very strong marketing
> advantages.  Looking to the future, I suspect if Google does adopt a
> new systems language, it's much more likely to come from within than
> be NIH.  Because that way they'll have much more control over it if,
> and not have to worry so much about IP issues (not that Google spends
> much time worrying about IP...), etc.   And if it becomes widely used
> in Google, then that's a very bouncy spring board from which to foist
> it on the rest of the world.
>
> It's definitely going to be a strong competitor for D's audience.
>
> --bb

Bill - you are absolutely correct. It will be targeting the _same_
audience as D. It can be said that D now have a serious competitor.
Will Walter increase the marketing for D ?

Even though the current D developers will likely NOT move to Go, it is
possible that new developers may not come to the D community in the
future, in the same numbers.
Of course this all depends on how good Go actually is, and how easily
they can build a community, and what leadership,  - and the quality of
the  leadership -  they have.

Nick B