Go: A new system programing language

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 17:47:11 PST 2009

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> hasenj wrote:
> > Walter Bright wrote:
> >> Message passing for concurrency is a solid solution for many types of
> >> concurrency problems, but it isn't a panacea.
> >
> > Do you think D would benefit if you add this (or similar) feature to it?
> Sean is working on a message passing (CSP) package for D. I'm not
> convinced it needs to be a core language feature, though.

This is true.  After I created ParallelFuture (the lib w/ parallel foreach, map,
reduce), a friend mentioned that my model was pretty similar to the OpenMP model.
 I read a little about OpenMP and it really hit home how powerful a language D is,
given that I was able to implement something OpenMP-ish as a pure library, without
any modifications to the compiler.  The fact that message passing is built into
Go! makes me wonder if there's a reason why it can't be done well in a library.