typedef redux

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Nov 12 07:55:49 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> My perception following the discussion around typedef is that we should
> eliminate it. What we offer is "alias", which is a generalization of C's
> "typedef", and the change of name is justified by the fact that "alias"
> defines aliases for more entities than just types.
>
> Does all that sound good?

I like that typedef purports to offer an inheritance model of sorts to concrete types.  Aliasing is all well and good, but it isn't always appropriate.  But I really haven't spent much time with typedef recently.  From what I've read, it sounds like the implementation doesn't live up to the promise.  Is this true?