Semantics of toString

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:01:03 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu

>>> I'd agree with the delegate idea if we established that UTF-8 is favored
>>> compared to all other formats.
>>
>> D seems to favor UTF8 -- it is the default type for string literals.  I
>> don't think I've ever used dchar, and I usually only use wchar to talk to
>> Win32 functions when required.
>>
>> The question I'd ask is -- how common is it where the versions other than
>> char[] would be more convenient?
>
> I don't know. I think Asian-language users might give a salient answer.

This isn't authoritative, but I don't think utf-16 is commonly used in
Japan (except for calling Windows APIs).

If you look at Mozilla the default Japanese encoding listed is
Shift-JIS.  A lot of Japanese email still gets sent as ISO-2022-JP.
Otherwise utf-8 I think.   A quick look at www.asahi.com shows they're
using EUC-JP.  nicovideo.jp is using utf-8.  I seem to recall that my
Japanese Visual Studio even saved files in Utf-8, or at least could be
set to use utf-8.   In short, I think utf-8 is closer to being a
widely accepted standard for documents over there than utf-16 is.

--bb