Go: A new system programing language

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Nov 12 12:37:13 PST 2009

> Whenever I give a talk on D, I start out by asking the audience who has
> heard of it. In the last few years, nearly everyone raises their hand.

For what it's worth there's a segment of the Google engineering community that would love to use D internally (I'm one of them).

Go is still very new and isn't used much here. Actually, I don't know of anything that it's used for off the top of my head. Google is based on C++ and Java with Python being used for a lot of glue/admin type stuff.

Personally, I'd rather use D2 than Go for my next project - especially given the c++ compatibility. With a few minor improvements (eg namespace support) that'd save a lot of time. But I don't know of anybody doing the necessary work to make it usable here, and besides, there's a lot of resistance to introducing new languages without a really good reason. D2 is close to being a Really Good Reason all on its own IMO, but the inertia is huge. How do you find a code reviewer for something written in D? What about compiler quality? Who will write the style guideline and do readability reviews?  (you have to pass a "readability" review for a language before you're allowed to check in code written with it).