D library projects

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 12 13:39:31 PST 2009

== Quote from Steven Schveighoffer (schveiguy at yahoo.com)'s article

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=82496
> > It would be truly great if Tango could be used under a license with
> > permissiveness
> > equivalent to the Boost license.  It would help mend a pretty
> > significant rift in
> > the D community that started over a minor technicality.
> I wouldn't waste any time trying to get Tango to change their license.
> Aside from being an almost insurmountable task to get all the developers
> to agree to do it, since the AFL allows permissions that are exactly in
> line with what the Tango devs want, I don't think they have any reason to
> change it.
> -Steve

Well this is great news.  I read over the AFL text and it seems to basically be
just be a more wordy, harder to parse equivalent to the Boost license.  So the AFL
is not the Boost license, but it is equivalently permissive.  In other words they
are (I think) compatible.

For the convenience of the forum readers, here's the attribution rights block:

6. Attribution Rights. You must retain, in the Source Code of any Derivative Works
that You create, all copyright, patent, or trademark notices from the Source Code
of the Original Work, as well as any notices of licensing and any descriptive text
identified therein as an "Attribution Notice." You must cause the Source Code for
any Derivative Works that You create to carry a prominent Attribution Notice
reasonably calculated to inform recipients that You have modified the Original Work.