Semantics of toString

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Nov 12 14:13:06 PST 2009

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>>> Let's not forget that this is mainly for debugging...
>> If it's mainly for debugging maybe it's not worth spending time on.
>
> Nonsense!  Developers spend a lot of time debugging.  Helping people
> debug their programs is certainly worth spending time on.
>
> --bb

Sorry sorry. I just meant to say it's not worth coming with an airtight
design. We might afford some extra conversions and extra virtual calls I
guess.

But that being said, I'd so much want to start thinking of an actual
text serialization infrastructure. Why develop one later with the
mention "well use that stuff for debugging only, this is the real stuff."

Andrei