Semantics of toString

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 12 14:25:44 PST 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:13:06 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

> Bill Baxter wrote:

>>> If it's mainly for debugging maybe it's not worth spending time on.
>>  Nonsense!  Developers spend a lot of time debugging.  Helping people
>> debug their programs is certainly worth spending time on.
>>  --bb
>
> Sorry sorry. I just meant to say it's not worth coming with an airtight
> design. We might afford some extra conversions and extra virtual calls I
> guess.
>
> But that being said, I'd so much want to start thinking of an actual
> text serialization infrastructure. Why develop one later with the
> mention "well use that stuff for debugging only, this is the real stuff."

The main purpose to serialize is to be able to deserialize.  The main
reason to print debug information is so a person can read it.  I don't
know if those two goals overlap enough.

I think we need both.  Maybe one uses the other, I'm not sure, but a way
to say "here's how you interact with writefln and friends" would be very
nice.

-Steve