How about Go's... error on unused imports?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Nov 12 20:07:18 PST 2009

"Justin Johansson" <no at spam.com> wrote in message
news:hdikl4$2rg7$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:
>>
>> I think this is an environment issue. I like Eclipse's approach. Java
>> unnecessary imports are underlined with a wavy red line.
>>

>> Andrei
>
> I don't like to engage in unnecessary debate but please consider:
>
> 1. the suggestion is for a warning message not an error (perhaps
> even enabled by a compiler switch or warning level),
>
> 2. by environment I presume you mean development system and/or
> editor. Sure Eclipse does okay with Java unused imports as you say.
> Now whist I use Eclipse with Descent plugin, relying on environment
> presupposes that environments support the feature.  Descent currently
> does not; perhaps it will in the near future.  It is fair conjecture
> though
> that widespead, mature support for D IDE-wise may well be sometime into
> the future.  This is to say nothing for those that prefer to hack with
> command line tools and light-weight editors.
>
> So in summary, my humble opinion is that placing this responsibility
> onto the environment is both pie in the sky and passing the buck.
>
> Justin

*Your* humble opinion? You liar! That's my humble opinion too! ;)

But yea, this is exactly the kind of thing that warnings (*true* warnings)
are *supposed* to be for.

Also, as far as Java goes, *everything* is an environment issue. Hell, I'm
almost surprised they don't outlaw non-recursive functions, non-infinite
loops, generics and sources-across-multiple-files from Java just so they
could have Eclipse auto-generate that much more clutter and redundancy. Come
to think of it...if I ever get a chance, I'm going to make a language just
like that with a corresponding Eclipse plugin just to be an ass and make a
point ;)