D library projects : adopting Boost license

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Nov 13 01:16:38 PST 2009

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> Robert Jacques wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:08:03 -0500, Yigal Chripun <yigal100 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> excerpts from http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
>>>
>>> "Derivative Works" shall mean any work, whether in Source or Object
>>> form, that is based on (or derived from) the Work and for which the
>>> editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other
>>> modifications represent, as a whole, an original work of authorship.
>>> For the purposes of this License, Derivative Works shall not include
>>> works that remain separable from, or merely link (or bind by name) to
>>> the interfaces of, the Work and Derivative Works thereof.
>>>
>>> 4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the
>>> Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without
>>> modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet
>>> the following conditions:
>>>
>>>     1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative
>>> Works a copy of this License; and
>>>
>>>     2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
>>> stating that You changed the files; and
>>>
>>>     3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works
>>> that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and
>>> attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those
>>> notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and
>>>

>>> /quote
>>>
>>> my understanding of the above is that using tango in your code
>>> doesn't constitute as "Derivative Works". that means that _uesrs_ of
>>> Tango are not required to provide attribution.
>>
>> First,   according to international copyright law (Berne convention),
>> compiling source code creates a derivative work. (See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISC_License for some links)
>> Second,  4.1 explicitly require you to provide the license with all
>> distributions.
>> Third,   Apache's FAQ, which was written by lawyers, instruct users to
>> include the license/attribution.
>> Finally, the linking divide, allows you link together code licensed
>> under different licensees. I believe the GPL also has a similar
>> clause. It doesn't mean that if you distribute a compiled copy of the
>> library (either explicitly as a dll/so or by statically linking it in)
>> you don't have to include the Apache license. You just don't have to
>> license your application which uses Tango under the Apache license.
>>
>> There was a large discussion a while back about this, and essentially
>> there are only 2 licenses suitable for a standard library: Boost and
>> zlib/libpng (And technically WTFYW).
>>

> Ok, I ain't a layer so let's see if I understood you correctly:
>
> You're saying that if I write code using Tango, I can license *my* code
> with whatever I want. My source will require a tango dll to work and
> *that* dll must come with its apache 2.0 license file.
>
> That sounds completely reasonable to me. I don't get what the problem
> [...]

At the present time, D DLLs don't work with D apps. Only static linking
works. And disallowing static linking is utterly ridiculous, anyway.

Conditions 2 and 3 above are no problem. I'm a bit scared of 1, though.
What does "give" mean? (It's not even "make available"). Sounds as
though EVERY D app (even "Hello, world" apps) would need to include a
license file for the standard library.