Are out-of-class-declaration method definitions allowed?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Nov 13 04:26:08 PST 2009

Steven Schveighoffer:

> The theory being -- the compiler probably knows better what things are
> good to inline.  In practice, this sometimes isn't the case, but it's all
> we have to work with right now.

In LDC there's a way to tell the compiler that a function that contains asm is suitable for inlining. In LDC there's also a compilation flag that accepts a number, that's the inlining threshold, you can use it to inline less or inline more.

I think 97% of the times the LDC compiler is able to do a good enough job of inlining. I remember only two times where LDC has not inlined something in need to be inlined. In this situations I've had to use an ugly string mixin, to create a kind of C macro, to inline those things by hand...

Bye,
bearophile