Serialization + semantics of toString

aarti_pl aarti at interia.pl
Fri Nov 13 08:44:09 PST 2009

Jacob Carlborg pisze:
> On 11/13/09 16:03, aarti_pl wrote:
>> Jacob Carlborg Wrote:

>>> Or you could use arhc.typeof[i] to access/set the values (even private)
>>> of a struct/class.
>>>

>> It works exactly this way. In D1 it was not possible to access private
>> members with tupleof[], so there was a need for describe(). But even
>> in D2 I think that describe() should stay as it gives more flexibility
>> for user.
>>

> It wasn't? When was that added? It works for me using gdc based on dmd
> somewhere between 1.024 and 1.030.

I remember there were some problems, but it was already some time ago...
  Also I remember that Andrei mentioned on NG that tupleof[] should give
access to all members nevertheless of their protection attributes, so I
assume it was not working like this.

Anyway possibility to define describe() should stay, as it gives
flexibility. It is just not necessary even when members are private.

BR
Marcin Kuszczak