std.metastrings

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 02:20:11 PST 2009

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:17:21 +0200, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

> My plan is to try to do things with an API that reflects std.string as
> closely as possible, and then as CTFE gets better, just replace those
> functions with aliases to the ones in std.string.  So eventually
> std.metastrings should contain little more than a bunch of aliases.
> But in the mean time there'll be a one-stop shop for basic
> compile-time string manipulation functions.

Why don't we have version(CTFE) or something like that yet? Then we can
just have two versions of code for most of std.string - one optimized for
runtime execution, and one adhering to CTFE restrictions. That would
remove the need to write two versions of a function which would be called
both during compile-time and runtime (one using std.metastrings and one
using std.string).

Also, nitpick: std.metastrings is plural but std.string is singular.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                          mailto:thecybershadow at gmail.com