How about Go's... error on unused imports?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 06:16:39 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 5:17 AM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

>>I didn't included cyclic/forward references bugs though:<
>
> You may add them too.

I think this word "may" does not mean quite what you think it does.
What you wrote there basically means "You have my permission to add them, too",
like a teacher might say to a student.

I suppose on the books "may" and "might" have similar meanings.  "It
may rain tomorrow" is pretty much the same as "it might rain
tomorrow".  But "may" has this extra meaning of permission to do
something that you have to watch out for.  If it can be interpreted as
giving permission, it will be.   "Might" doesn't have that ambiguity.

In the above situation, I would say either "It might be a good idea to
add them too".  Or just ask directly "Could you please add them, too?"

--bb